The Jarrah Sweater is one of those patterns that as been around for a while and although I was aware of it it wasn’t really on my radar until I saw a version sewn up at my weekly sewing group. The teacher had sewn a couple of sample versions up in preparation for a class that she was planning and instantly I knew it was a pattern I wanted to sew.
I got back home and immediately ordered the pattern. The pattern is pretty economical on fabric, I had some ponte weight floral jersey fabric that I had picked up from the swap table at #SewBrum back in October and decided to use that for my trial version. I only had about 1 metre so didn’t bother with cuffs and instead just cut the sleeves out to the longest length I could get from the fabric – these turned out to be plenty long enough.
I went with View C for my first make, because the waist tie is what first drwe me to the pattern. I used the finished measurements to guide my sizing, I usually work on body measurements but this is a loose fit top so I cut a straight size 8 (for my body measurements I would usually grade up to a 12 on the waist), this size worked out perfectly and the fabric worked really well.
The pattern is a very easy sew, I have made a number of jersey tops over the last couple of years so pretty much skipped through the instructions although I did pay attention for the tie which is a detail that I haven’t sewn before. I found the instructions very clear for this stage.
I was so impressed with the pattern that I went straight on to make another, this time I used a striped French Terry from Lamazi Fabrics, at the time of writing the fabric is still available and can be found here:
The fabric is lovely quality and washes well, it is also very soft to the touch. This time I used some contrasting cuffing fabric to finish off the sleeves which is a perfect match to the brown stripes.
With Christmas fast approaching I decided I just had time to squeeze one more in before packing my machine away. I sew at the kitchen table but will be cooking for 10 this year so needed to clear my sewing machine and all the paraphernalia that goes with it away. I wanted something with a little bit of sparkle and picked up some sweatshirting fabric which has cute glittery foxes on it from a local fabric shop.
This time a went for View B but lengthened the body by 1 inch and shortened the sleeves by 2 inches.
This is definitely one of those patterns that I will be returning to time and time again. I actually have another one planned with some fabric that I have had in my stash since the summer, next time I am planning on lengthening the pattern into a dress but that will have to wait until the New Year when Christmas festivities are over and I can get my sewing table back.